Mac & Cheese
One of my all time favourite sides, has to be the Mac and Cheese! It's the dish that I get requested to take to my family get togethers. I love the cheesy, gooey, delicious-ness of it. The addition of the bacon and leek make this a dish worthy of being more than just a side dish.
Mac & Cheese Recipe
READY IN: 40 Minutes
- 4 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 5 cups milk
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 600g macaroni
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- Black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the cornflour and cook over a moderately high heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking until thickened, approx 5 mins. Remove from the heat. Add 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese, season with cracked pepper and whisk until the cheese sauce is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a frypan, melt the remaining butter. Add the bacon and cook over medium to high heat until slightly caramelised and then add the leek and cook for a further 5 mins.
- In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain well. Add the macaroni and the cheese sauce to the bacon/leeks mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the macaroni to large heat proof dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown on top.